While I was in LA, I had the honor to meet Jake Kaplan in the CBS studios in Culver City, home of AMP, the legendary KROQ , and Jack FM. Jake is the head of Imaging for AMP and an incredible talented imaging guy with an exact vision for his station. Before he was creating magic for AMP Jake used to be the head of Imaging for the world famous KROQ and Jack FM LA. This Rock influence and more rougher style is recognizable on his productions for AMP as well, beacuse it is not the typcial CHR or KISS clone.Inspiring stuff!
Read the inspiring interview, check the screen caps of Jake’s favourite plugIns and listen to his great imaging pieces for AMP.
Jake has a very experienced background for his young age, which is reflected by the techniques and imaging style he uses to make AMP stand out.
1. Which production system do you use at AMP?
I produce everything on Pro Tools 8…mac pro…started on pro tools 2.0 when I was 16….have always used pro tools…
2. What are your favourite plugIns (including screenshots)?
I’m a big fan on Waves Gold…also use pitch n time…speakerphone..auto tune…ok and I admit it…I love T-Racks!
3. How do you schedule your work (priorities…..)? Do you do scripts as well?
Man, it’s not easy..nothing is routine…spend most of my day doing my production and other duties at cbs LA…read all my scripts at the end of the day or at home….unless a station has something urgent…..
4. What do you love about being the head of production @ AMP?
Well, I love being a production director in Los Angeles….and at such a current station…LA is where everything is happening in music and entertainment…..and producing the imaging for a top 40 station is really my dream job…..every time I load a piece of production into the audiovault I have to respect the fact that million of people will hear this piece of imaging..everything has gotta be a 10…..also, I love the staff at AMP…our entire programming, marketing staff…and air staff…it’s a lot of work for everyone…but it’s really a fun place to work…
5. What is the best protools or production trick anybody should know?
Hmmm, honestly pro tools comes so natural to me at this point…I can’t even tell you what tricks I’m doing….don’t be afraid to use vari-fi….
6. How do you get inspired and what do you use as scource of creativity?
Going to our events and meeting listeners..that has singly been the greatest source of inspiration…I would encourage every production director to force himself out of the studio and go to an event…
7. Who were your radio production idols, who influenced your work as a producer?
Steve Thomas…Vic Orlando…, Eddie Bower, Jeff Thomas
8. What would be your 3 key advices for youngsters?
Well this has def changed in the last few years…
1. Do you really love radio?…it’s harder than ever to break into this business…you really gotta love radio to be successful at it…
2. Are you thinking beyond FM? radio will be delivered and used very differently in the next 5 to 10 years…be ready..be thinking that way…
3. You gotta be able to do multiple jobs…not just multiple stations…you gotta be able to understand the interworking of programming, marketing, sales, and corporate…
9. What is your vision for AMP as sound brand?
The Amp sound is all about standing out and being authentic…it’s about forward momentum…being in touch with what’s going in music and our listeners….
Check some session screenshots from Jake: