Today I have the chance to present one of the real friends in imaging business, one of the collegues really inspiring me: David Konsky. To me he is one of 3 best CHR producers in the world. His style is beat related (benztown: I guess he digs the grid like I do), punchy, stands out and always spectacular.
David handles the 2DayFM network in Australia and was based in Sydney. Now he is working remote from his home studio and giving you exclusive access to his screenshots and his knowledge. Read the entire interview and check his latest audio.
1. Which production system do you use at 2day FM?
Working remotely – my setup is a macbook pro (for travelling purposes) and digidesign 002 Rack. At 2DAY HQ – decked out with Quad Core Mac Tower and Digidesign Pro Control 24 for the mixing surface.
2. What are your favourite plugIns (including screenshots)?
EQ: Focusrite D2
Compressor: Focusrite D3
Reverb: True Verb
Pitch N Time – I’d be lost without it!
Modulation: Metaflange, Sci Fi, PSP Nitro
AMP: Sans Amp/Recti Fi/Lo Fi
Pitch FX: Pitch Shift/Ultra Pitch Shift/Waves Graphic Soundshifter
Mastering: C4/L1 Ultramaximizer
3. How do you schedule your work (priorities…..)?
A daily list in order of what’s needed on air. My local office supply store has a 500 page daily to do list planner. It’s great for writing down things on the fly from ideas to conversations on the fly with the boss.
4. What do you love about being the head of production @ the 2day Network?
The creative freedom and the ability to work with the most talented content team.
5. How do you get inspired and what do you use as scource of creativity?
Several contributing factors. It almost reads like a radio promo!
1. A good beat
2. A great melody
3. A great piece of copy
4. Vocal drops
5. Artists natural responses to questions can make for a quirky promo or sweeper
6. Other producers masterpieces
6. Who influenced your work as a producer?
Matt Nikolic who hooked me up with my first job. Living in Melbourne – 1019 The Fox was the CHR station and there was nothing compared to it!
7. What would be your 3 key advices for me as a youngster?
1. Be top of mind with the key people in the industry
2. Be persistent
3. Don’t give up!
Thanks to David for sharing all his wisedom, screencaps and audio.